Why Build a Custom Home Instead of Buying One: Building vs. Buying
Making the decision to build a custom home or buy an existing home can be difficult. There are always advantages and disadvantages with anything you do and while there are many benefits when considering why to build a custom home, there are a few disadvantages.
Building vs. Buying – Pros and Cons
When deciding to move into a new home, there are many factors to consider between building a home and buying a home.
Why Build a Custom Home – The Pros
- You are in control of your new house and in charge of the design, floor plan, and location of your new home.
- When you purchase your land, there is no longer any competition to have your dream home.
- With newly constructed custom homes, you will not have to worry about spending extra money on maintenance costs because new homes are less maintenance.
- Customizing your new home according to your taste is one of the best benefits of building a custom home.
- There are no toxic materials in new custom homes, like lead-based paint.
- New homes are energy efficient, which will help the environment and lower your bills.
Why Build a Custom Home – The Cons
- It can be difficult to obtain a land loan because of the lack of collateral.
- There might be unexpected costs.
- Building custom homes can be stressful.
- You will need to add landscaping.
Why Buy an Existing Home – The Pros
- You will not have to wait for construction.
- There is mature landscaping.
- You can update your home when you have the time and money.
Why Buy an Existing Home – The Cons
- It takes a lot of effort and time to look for the right home for you and your family.
- There is always the possibility of there being a bidding war.
- You might not get the floor plan you really want.
- Older homes are not as energy efficient as new homes, and you will have higher energy costs.
- There will likely be maintenance problems due to old appliances, electrical issues, or plumbing issues.
- You will most likely not get the dream home that you have envisioned.
Important Factors to Keep in Mind
When deciding if you want to build a custom home or buy an existing home, you should research the best custom home builders in your area, like ValueBuild Homes. Choosing the right custom home builders to help create your dream home will make all the difference.
If you are considering purchasing a fixer-upper as a middle ground between purchasing an existing home and building a new home, be mindful of exactly how much money you are willing to spend trying to update an older home.
If you decide to build a custom home, carefully consider where you want the home to be built. Especially if you have children or plan on having children, the location of your home is an important factor.
Remember that you will get everything you can imagine when building a new home. The best custom home builders, like ValueBuild Homes, can help make your dream come true. You will have appliances you picked out, flooring that you chose, a floor plan to meet the needs of your family, and you will be in charge of the design of your custom home. It might sound like a lot to think about, but building a custom home is worth it.
ValueBuild Homes Can Help Build Your Dream Home
If you are still sitting on the decision to buy an existing home or deciding why to build a custom home, take your time and consider the pros and cons of each. At ValueBuild Homes, we are here to help you every step of the way when building a custom home. If you have any questions or are interested in discussing your home building options, contact us today!